Once you get clear about what kind of job would be in alignment with your passions and abilities, don’t be afraid to apply for jobs that aren’t a perfect match for your education and skill set. Identify a list of ten companies you’d like to work for. Research them thoroughly. Then use these tips to attract the right kind of attention:
It’s tough to stand out using just a resume. Use your LinkedIn profile to express who you really are and what you’re looking for. Here are some examples:
· Retail manager with passion for luxury goods seeking an entry level position in advertising
· Operations manager with a passion for engineering looking to for an opportunity in the fields of energy or defense
· Financial adviser with a passion for environmental protection looking for a position in sustainable investing
Use a skills-based resume
· Create a powerful profile statement of no more than two lines describing the experience, skills, and proven achievements that make you a great candidate.
· Follow that with a bullet list of your transferable skills
· Include interesting jobs/experiences you’ve had on the resume. Recently, a graduate with a finance degree landed a job as a rep with a major financial services company. He beat his competitors, many with higher GPA's from more prestigious schools, because the hiring manager was impressed after discussing his experience as a waiter: it spoke to his ability to produce a great customer experience, essential for this entry level role.
Write a one-page job proposal
· Your proposal should demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the company, what you have to offer, and why you’d be a great hire.
· Identify a current challenge the company is facing and discuss how you would use your passion, skill, and experience to address the issue.
· Give examples of past accomplishments that prove you can deliver results.
Create a web-page that showcases special projects or displays portfolio items, or create a high-quality video resume. (Note: If you are camera-shy, or if you don’t have the resources to create a high-quality video, it’s best to skip this option).
Offer to take the job on a temp-to-permanent hire basis